Thursday 4 October 2012

Off the topic of religion for a bit an onto something else. Still something that people spend a lot of time thinking about, but certainly not as philosophical.

I caught up with someone I hadn't spoken to in a while today (no names will be given), and asked them if they were still with their girlfriend that they were with last time I saw them. The answer was that they had gone through 3 other girlfriends since then - this is about a year-ish. He then asked if I was still single, and when I said yes he asked why (this coming from a guy whose longest period of singledom for the time I knew him was less than a week, so I took this with a grain of salt)

The answer I gave him to that probably says a lot about me. In summary, I said that not only did I not feel that being single was not a bad thing, but I couldn't understand why other people thought that it was. The analogy I often use is that of ice cream. Ice cream is nice, and I enjoy it, but I don't need to have it. And during the times I don't have it, I never think I'm missing out. The same goes for a relationship. Why should it be the default state that being single is some sort of step down from? I just don't get it.

That isn't to say that I'm rarely attracted to someone, or that I don't often feel like finding a girlfriend. Hell, there's someone I'd like to ask out now. But rationally, I know that my wanting to stems not from a conscious assessment, but natural hormonal drives. So, I rule in favour of reason. If anybody was to convince me rationally that it would be a good idea, then I'd certainly consider it. But for the moment, my position will stay as it is. I don't need another person to complete me, as some people might believe. I'm perfectly capable of happiness in my own self.

No comments:

Post a Comment